An in depth study of this soulful Gypsy waltz written by Django Reinhardt.
Gin Gin (Chez Jacquet) is a beautiful waltz (composed by Django Reinhardt) in the key of D major. Like most of the Gypsy Waltzes, the composition has a very little room for improvisation and most of the work in learning the tune is devoted to technical and sound. Thus, learning a Gypsy Waltz is always guaranteed to improve your technique, sound and style.
Many students who yearn to learn how to improvise fail simply because they can't get the crucial flow in their playing. They play arpeggios and triads, they know some licks, but somehow it just doesn't sound good when they play.
Usually, playing some waltzes is a very efficient cure! I have seen that with many of these students.
When you learn a Gypsy Waltz, you improve your technique, styling and flow in a musical piece that has a very basic chord progression that repeat in many jazz standards. The phrasing of the compositions are in the heart of the Gypsy Jazz style. So you end up learning the core of the style as well. The impact of that on your playing can be simply amazing.
This course is unique among my other courses. I wanted you to learn the tune in the "gypsy way"- by listening and watching, concentrating on the most important things- your sound, technique and style. I have divided the compositions into 20 very short melodies that you'll learn note by note, slowly, in four different sections.
- Section one- watching and listening. I play a short melody a few times very slow, you need to try to catch up, learn and remember as much as you can.
- Section two – note by note. Now we'll make sure you have the right melody in the right fingering with no mistakes.
- Section three – technique. Again – I'll break the short phrase down, note by note, but now emphasizing the right hand. Showing you when I pick up, down, sweep and discussing some important issues for each phrase, if needed.
- Section four- Play with me. That's the time to make sure you have it! Try to play with me.
This course is for everyone who want to improve his Gypsy Jazz playing, for everyone who want to improve his technique and for everyone who want to play this lovely piece of music.
As always with my courses, I am not stopping here. You will understand everything that you play so you can use it in other musical situatio
You will learn:
- Accompaniment- basic chord progression, harmonic analysis, chord substitutes, bass and chord technique and how to create bass lines just like Django!
- Melody- learn the long melody easily by breaking it down into 20 short, clear and easy pieces that are fun to practice. Just play the 20 pieces one after the another and you have the complete melody under your fingers!
- Technique- note by note explanation of the Gypsy technique. What a great opportunity to improve your technique with 20 amazing technique exercises that combine to create the complete waltz.
- Improvisation- learn to understand the core of the phrases in this waltz, transform them to 4/4 swing feel and expand your vocabulary of phrases by using them in your improvisation. Demonstrated over Coquette to make it easy to love and understand.
- 1.1 The Story Of The Waltz
- 1.2 What We Can Learn From The Waltz
- 1.3 How To Learn This Course
- 1.4 Performance-4
- 1.5 Solo Performance
- 1.6 mp3- Backing track for lead
- 1.7 mp3- backing track for accompaniment
- 2.1 Basic Waltz Accompaniment
- 2.2 Basic Swing Waltz Accompaniment
- 2.3 Bass And Chords Waltz Accompaniment #1
- 2.4 Bass And Chords Waltz Accompaniment #2
- 2.5 Mixing Waltz Accompaniment Types
- 2.6 The A-part Harmonic Structure
- 2.7 The B-part Harmonic Structure
- 2.8 harmonic structure
- 2.9 Basic Accompaniment- A Part- Slow
- 2.10 Basic Accompaniment- A Part- Fast
- 2.11 Basic Accompaniment- B Part- Slow
- 2.12 Basic Accompaniment- B Part- Fast
- 2.13 Lead sheet in the style of Gin Gin
- 3.1 Bass And Chords Etude- A-part
- 3.2 Bass And Chords Demonstration- A Part- Slow
- 3.3 Bass And Chords Study- B Part
- 3.4 Bass And Chords Demonstration- B Part -slow
- 3.5 More Bass Lines - Ending Of A Part
- 3.6 More Bass Lines- Beginning Of B Part
- 3.7 Bass And Chords - Complete Etude- Fast
- 3.8 Bass and Chords etude-PDF
- 4 Introduction
- 4.1 Basic Melody #1 (MA1)
- 4.2 Basic Melody #2 (MA2)
- 4.3 Basic Melody #1-2
- 4.4 Basic Melody #3 (MA3)
- 4.5 Basic Melody #4 (MA4)
- 4.6 Basic Melody #5 (MA5)
- 4.7 Basic Melody #4-5
- 4.8 First Half
- 4.9 Basic Melody #6 (MA1)
- 4.10 Basic Melody #7 (MA7)
- 4.11 Basic Melody #6-7
- 4.12 Basic Melody #8 (MA8)
- 4.13 Basic Melody #9 (MA9)
- 4.14 Second Half
- 4.15 Complete A- Part
- 4.16 Melodic parts
- 5.1 Basic Melody #1 (MB1)
- 5.2 Basic Melody #2 (MB2)
- 5.3 Basic Melody #1-2
- 5.4 Basic Melody #3 (MB3)
- 5.5 Basic Melody #4 (MB4)
- 5.6 Basic Melody #5 (MB5)
- 5.7 Basic Melody #3
- 5.8 First Half-55
- 5.9 Basic Melody #6 (MB6)
- 5.10 Basic Melody #7 (MB7)
- 5.11 Basic Melody #8 (MB8)
- 5.12 Basic Melody #6-8
- 5.13 Basic Melody #9 (MB6)
- 5.14 Basic Melody #10 (MB9)
- 5.15 Pick-up To The A Part (MB10)
- 5.16 Basic Melody #9-10
- 5.17 Second Half
- 5.18 Complete B-part
- 5.19 Dim7 Run For Second B Part
- 6.1 Hybrid Technique
- 6.2 A Part #1
- 6.3 A Part #2
- 6.4 A Part #3
- 6.5 A Part #4
- 6.6 B Part #1
- 6.7 B Part #2
- 6.8 B Part #3
- 6.9 B Part #4
- 6.10 B Part #5
- 6.11 Hybrid picking exercises
- 7.1 Improvisation Idea #1
- 7.2 Improvisation Idea #2
- 7.3 Improvisation Idea #3
- 7.4 Improvisation exercises
“Enjoyable and educational, highly recommended!!!”
“Enjoyable and educational, highly recommended!!!”→Read Less
“Pretty song that serves as a jump-start for concentrated learning.. Love it!”
“Pretty song that serves as a jump-start for concentrated learning.. Love it!”→Read Less
“fantastico!,,,,step by step,,even i could learn it! seventy years old and learning something new ! Grazie Yaakov”
“fantastico!,,,,step by step,,even i could learn it! seventy years old and learning something new ! Grazie Yaakov”→Read Less
“This course is amazing. I can’t believe how much I’ve learned by learning this one song. It’s almost as if Django wrote this as a training tool. So many gypsy jazz techniques are covered here. Yaakov teaches in a clear and concise way, and I highl...”→Read More
“This course is amazing. I can’t believe how much I’ve learned by learning this one song. It’s almost as if Django wrote this as a training tool. So many gypsy jazz techniques are covered here. Yaakov teaches in a clear and concise way, and I highly recommend this for players who have been studying GJ for awhile and for players who are new to the genre. Either way you’ll improve your playing AND your knowledge of gypsy jazz techniques. Fabulous course Yaakov!”→Read Less